CTLA logo
Fairfield County Bar Association
GBBA Proud Member

Attorney Kevin Hoffkins has been appointed as a Fact Finder / Arbitrator and an Attorney Trial Referee for the following Judicial Districts: Ansonia-Milford, Bridgeport, Danbury, and Stamford-Norwalk

Visa Options for Foreign Nurses

The occupation of Nursing presents very difficult obstacles for immigration to the U.S. Although many nurses go on to obtain a Bachelors of Science in Nursing (BSN), the INS position is that a BSN is not a requirement. Therefore, the INS will not grant an H-1B visa for an alien to work in the U.S. as a nurse. Without the benefit of an H-1B Visa, there is practically no way a foreign nurse can work on a temporary basis in the U.S.

The only real way for nurses to immigrate to the U.S. is to have an employer sponsor them directly for permanent residence. The INS will only grant permanent residence if the nurse has obtained a Visa Screen certificate from the International Commission on Healthcare Professions.

ICHP will require that the Nurse have passed the CGFNS and the TSE exams.

For further information on how to qualify for visa screen contact ICHP at www.ichp.org or call 215-349-6735.

Client Reviews
Kevin helped me with my family court matter and was very realistic with me about how court matters work and it gave me confidence how to proceed. Ultimately he helped me gain success and I’m not sure I could have done it without him. C.S.
Kevin is a great lawyer to work with , he guides you without pushing you into anything you are not comfortable with and he makes sure you understand the legal process. I highly recommend him for your legal needs. S.H.
Kevin is a great lawyer to work with. He's very knowledgable and experienced. He also has great connections. I moved to CA from CT during the case, and he did an amazing job accommodating the situation. I would highly recommend Kevin to one of my friends/family members as an attorney. T.L.